Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Day of The Dead, A Mexican Tradition


My name is Judith Garcia. I have lived in San Francisco for 20 years. The first day I arrived in San Francisco was Halloween night. The Castro District was celebrating with an amazing Halloween party. I was a very excited that night because in my country, this type of party is not unusual for this day, this time of year. In my country, Mexico, on November 1st and 2nd, we always celebrate The Day of the Dead. But it is very different from Halloween. On The Day of The Dead, people usually go to the cemetery and leave flowers, candles, and some food for the deceased. This food is the kind of food he or she liked in life. Some people say this practice is silly, but it has been our special holiday from ancient history, since the time when the Aztecs ruled Mexico.

No comments: