Friday, April 1, 2011

"My Vacation" by Flor Monteza















I am a city girl. My childhood was around a collective houses in Peru where mostly everybody knows each other. In the mornings, I usually attended school classes from 8 am. to 2 pm. I enjoyed being at school every morning because my classmates and teachers were very friendly. I remember taking classes in cooking, sewing, dancing besides the academic classes. But, I can say, the school was a religious one, so every Friday we went to the chapel to pray for a short time. During vacations when the classes were over, we would travel to visit my grandparents. They lived in a rural area, far away from my city, so we traveled there by plane. That was really fantastic! My whole family traveled to the Valley of Huancaray where we saw rivers, and crops of different plants that looked like a lively mosaic on the ground. I had the chance to ride horses, feed ducks and chickens, as well as climb the trees to catch the best and sweetest fruits. The lakes and rivers were clear as a mirror and I was able to catch delicious varieties of fish. I think this experience with nature made me have a great sense of caring of our environment.

The vacation also had a touch of craziness when the Carnivals were celebrated with music and dances all day for three consecutive days. At that time we played, throwing water balloons at each other or painting faces with talc. Food and beverages were offered during the carnivals at no cost because the community celebrated together and ate together. After returning from vacations, we came back home with loads of presents from our relatives and the remarkable experience carved in my memory.

OTHER ARTICLES BY FLOR MONTEZA:

"Loving Science and My Family", by Flor Monteza

"What Impresses Me About Martin Luther King Jr." by Flor Monteza

No comments: