Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"Two Cousins, Two Brothers" by Juan Lopez-Gutierrez


Two cousins, two brothers:

That will be the name of my story. First let me tell you, we grew up in the same town, two houses apart. We shared so many things when we were kids. Every morning we went to school together, had lunch together, sat in the same classroom, and had the same teachers. It was so much fun being together.

The time passed by and we grew up. He left the town when he was nine years old, and we did not see each other for so many years. One day, I think it was the best day of my life, the telephone rang and I answered it. It was him on the other end of the line and being very happy. Then we made plans to come to U.S.A.. I left my university, my friends, and so many things I loved at that time. When we came to this country, the things were very hard because of the language. And we lived in San Diego for two years. Then I moved to Chicago, and he stayed in San Diego. We didn’t see each other for five years. At that time, when he stayed in San Diego, he got to know this girl and got married. They have three girls and one boy. At that time I didn’t know he was an alcoholic . He was attending A.A. He had a lot of help from his wife. Afterwards, I left Chicago to live in San Francisco. Now we see each other more often because I like to drive to San Diego to visit them. And he has been twenty six years out of alcoholism. I admire him when he tells me he is going to a conferences to some states of Mexico talking about alcoholism.

We aren’t kids any more. My cousin and his wife are a very happy couple. Two of the girls got married. And now he is the grandfather of two beautiful girls. I have two daughters. We are in our 60’s and have been very happy people, making plans to go back to Mexico, like when we were kids.

No comments: