Sunday, November 25, 2012

"Easter" by Adrian Sanchez

Ceviche
Easter is one of the most enjoyable holidays of the year, however, we (Mexicans) celebrate it differently than Americans because of our religion and beliefs. Most of the the Mexican people are Catholic, and my family and I follow Catholicism too.

Easter has two meanings according to the people I grew up with. The first is; Jesus is tortured to death for a week. So many Mexicans go to Catholic church and pray for a week. During the week, they don't eat red meat because red meat represents Jesus's body.

The second meaning is very different from the first one because the second meaning is to have fun with loved ones for a week by going to the beach; however those people do not eat red meat because even though they do not go to church for a week, they still believe in God. So during this holiday, we just eat seafood, chicken, or other type of food without eating red meat at all. My family and I do a bit of both. We go to the church, but not the whole week because we also go to the beach. I enjoy more going to the beach instead of going to church because I really have a great time with my family and friends.

A day before the holiday, my mom starts preparing some traditional dishes like ceviche, sandwiches, some, snacks, and other type of food. Ceviche is made of shrimp or fish, all mixed with cucumber, tomatoes, onions, avocado, cilantro, and jalapenos. All these vegetables are sliced in pieces of squares, put together and mixed. While my mom is doing that, my siblings and I are in-charge of getting all the supplies that we are going to need for the beach like towels, sun cream, umbrellas, and clothes. We also take our four wheeled motorcycle to the beach, which makes our holiday even greater.

On the day of the holiday we start getting ready when we get up and by ten o'clock we're ready to put all the stuff on the truck. When we get there, the first thing we do is to get in the water and just play with each other. Being on the beach is a wonderful feeling because I love being on the beach. After playing and swimming at the beach for a while, we start to feel hungry, so we eat what my Mom had prepared for this holiday.

After eating, we have to wait at least 40 minutes before getting into the water again, because if we go earlier than that, we might drown. During those 40 minutes, we ride on the four wheel motorcycle around the beach from one side to the other. And after that, we get in the water again. We stay almost all day, and by evening, we start packing up and getting ready to go hack home. At the end of the day, we are all exhausted and remember what a great holiday it was. This is why I like this holiday and it's always going to be one of my favorite ones.

No comments: